January 14, 2009

What I Do Right

My college roommate Mandy has always been an inspiration to me. Tonight I read her latest post on being easier on ourselves as women. She challenged us all to write down 5 things that we like about and/or are proud of ourselves. Here's mine: 1. I send my daughter off to school every day with a smile and tell her I love her. As she walks into school she turns around, holds out her little hand, and signs "I love you" with her fingers. I try to make sure I start her day with the confidence that she is loved. 2. I am doing really well at getting along with people. I am learning how to let them be who they are, where they are. We are all sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father having a mortal experience. Life is too short to be unhappy over unmet expectations. 3. I am doing really well at managing our family's finances. I am a budget nazi (especially for my credit card, which I use for everything but always know how much I spend) and have a 3 year plan for getting Brian's 20 year student loan paid off. In the last 2 years we've already paid $40,000 on the loan! I am really happy about that. And more importantly, I feel like the Lord is happy with the choices we've made with the money He has provided. 4. I am learning my limitations. I no longer feel the need to overextend myself to make someone else happy. It's between the Lord and I, and that's all that matters. I take the time I need for myself (and then some) to "sharpen my ax". I'm discovering and continuing to learn where the line is between selfishness and taking care of oneself. There is a difference. My best day so far in 2009 was last Friday. I decided to skip work and just be home. Kylie was going home with a friend after school, so I had the whole day to myself. I caught up on some sleep and had energy to clean my house. I spent a little time reading on the couch. It felt so good to take care of my home and myself. When I picked Kylie up from her friend's I had energy to play with her and give her the attention she deserves. 5. I have been able to use my talents and spiritual gifts to help others. And through helping others, I have learned more about my talents and spiritual gifts. I now pass on the challenge to take a moment and think about all the things that you do RIGHT in a day. Sure, there are things we can improve upon. But if that's all we focus on, we'll lose our steam to keep trying. Take some parenting advice for yourself: catch yourself doing something right!

1 comment:

Coretta from Confetti said...

didn't know you had a blog. Congrats on your 5. I like your last line about catch ourselves doing something right. It's too easy to always see our negative experiences rather than the good we are putting out into the world.